Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Thanks for the Memories

It's difficult to imagine something like this happening to someone that has walked with near immortal status in my mind for so long. Coach Sennett had a presence about him that is indescribable. He always carried himself in a way that made it very clear when he entered the room. He was always the guy that everyone wanted to talk to. He had a very special way of making you feel important when you were talking to him. He commanded the respect of an audience like no one else I have ever met. He spoke with such attention to detail that every word was significant and precise. In fact, everything he did in his life was precise. The man must have had his hair cut twice a week to keep it at an exact 1/2 inch length. He wore the same white Nike high-tops to practice everyday. He was meticulous, as he would say, “to a fault.” We ran the same 'short bus' EMO play for three consecutive years. He didn't care that everyone knew what we were doing. As long as it was executed properly it worked. Not to mention he was skeptical that we could learn more than one play. No matter what kind of talent he had on the field, the confidence he gave his players to succeed could not be overcome.

His speeches and motivation were legendary. I clearly remember the talk he gave the team before the '99 State Championship game. It had nothing to do with strategy or hustle, but was a simple reminder to us about what it meant to be a part of the Tradition that is DeSmet Lacrosse. A reminder about everyone that had sacrificed to allow us to get to where we were. It truly was the most inspirational speech I have ever heard. He wasn't afraid, however, to make his point in a more colorful manner when needed. He always had affection for the words "hold 'em by the nose, and kick 'em in the ass." I've never actually seen anyone do that, but there was always the fear that he might do it to you if things went wrong. I truly miss hearing him speak. He always left you pondering what you could possibly be doing better with your life, and let you know that you could achieve it.

I miss the days of running ‘rips’ and ‘bumps’ at Vo-Tech until we couldn't take any more, and then doing one more because he knew we could. I would probably still collapse at the finish just to hear him yell “get up” or “leg it out” one more time. I miss his catch phrases and one-liners. I remember the first time I got the ‘savvy & poise’ speech. I didn’t understand exactly what the words meant, but I knew what he was talking about. He just had a special way of relating to people and getting his point across.

Coach Sennett loved his players, and made it well known that DeSmet Lacrosse was his family. Everything that happened in his family stayed there. He built a family so strong that nothing will ever bring it down and his coaching days are far from over. The life lessons he taught us will be passed on forever. ‘Commitment to Excellence’ and ‘Count on Me’ became much more than words after you played for Coach. He forced every player to achieve things beyond what they themselves believed, and made each and every player accountable for their own actions.

I never got to thank Coach Sennett for everything he did for me, but it’s not because I didn’t try. A few years ago he and I went to the park near his house to take a few shots. As we were walking back I started to say thank you to him for helping me grow up; before I could even finish he said “love ya too brother.” He understood what he meant to me, and didn’t need any thanks. I'm not sure where I would be today had I not known Coach Sennett. He always led me in the right direction without fail. Coach, you will be sorely missed, but the gifts that you have given me can never be taken away. Thanks for everything you have ever done and every sacrifice you made to make me a better person.

Love,
Wally

Andrew Huelskoetter '00

No comments: