Monday, May 7, 2007

Be Humble

Over the six years that I have known Coach Mike Sennett, I have had the pleasure to have him in my life. So many memories fill my head when his name comes into my head. I’ll start with lacrosse practice. When we would practice Vo-tech I would walk to the field and see his black Yukon, that meant coach was here and it would remind me why I was on that field. He would change from his suit to his famous orange shorts or his Notre Dame shorts, and his penny. At practice he would have his orange kryptolite shaft with a brine cyber head, and for some reason that was the lightest stick I have ever picked up in my life. These are some objects that reminded me of Coach.
During practice one time were doing some clears and we needed a middie on the flied and it was suppose to be Mcmanus, and he wasn’t paying attention. Coach yells, “Mcmanus get your thumb out of your ass!!!” I was trying hard not to laugh because I would be the next one to be yelled at because Coach was a little distraught at the time.
During at certain game I have never seen that man happier at a game. It was the year 2002, semi-final game DeSmet vs. Rochurst. We conquered a huge victory that game with a score of something like 14-6 I can’t remember off the top of my head. It was a big game since we only beat them in double overtime earlier in the season. I have never seen Coach Sennett jump as high as he did when we did back to back fast break goals. At the end of the game he had a grin from ear to ear smiling at us, not just because we defeated Rochurst, but because we used everything that he taught us in that game.
Our next game was against MICDS for the finals at Ladue field (I miss that perfect grass field) Every time we came in at quarter and at half-time we were winning, Coach told us to be humble, the words have stuck in my head ever since that game. For us not to be arrogant during that game was the most important thought. If we got bigheaded the game could have turned around, but it didn’t we went on to win with a score of 12-7, that’s off the top of my head. Again Coach was proud of what he has taught us and what we have done with what we had learned.
One more lacrosse memory was Febuary of 2003, I didn’t want to do it but I had to and that was to make the call to Coach Sennett and Goudy that I had tore my ACL and was out the entire season. I attended practice everyday or as much as I could have on or off crutches and Coach was happy and appreciative to see my integrity towards interest of being part of the team. Later coach asks me if I still wanted to be on the team and roster, I responded with yes.
My post lacrosse years I would attend DeSmet Lacrosse games. After the games I would either go to the sidelines or meet Coach Sennett and Goudy to congratulate on their victory. When I would see Coach Sennett I would reach out my hand for a hand shake. He would look me in the eyes and give me a hug. He would continue asking me questions on how my life is going, how my team is, how school is going, and how my family is doing. He was happy to know everything is doing great. I got an email from Northwestern Mutual that was inquiring my interest in a summer internship. It said that Mike Sennett had requested that they look into me to see if I was interested. I appreciate him doing that and always looking out for his friends.
This last week has been hard on me and the many people that have filled his life. It was grateful to see the many old faces and some new ones. Mike’s mom was one of the nicest ladies that I have met; she came up to me and gave me a hug at the wake and the funeral. I had never met her before but it seemed like I had knew her my whole life. I talked to her and she couldn’t believe how many people there were when she turned looked behind her at the new Cathedral. The last thing I told her was, “Thank you and your family’s decision on letting Mike be buried in St. Louis.”
Mike you will be remebered in my heart and many others, we thank you for everything you have done for us.

Nick Zeiser
#34 ‘03
Count on Me

No comments: