Wednesday, May 2, 2007

All World Team

I first met Mike around 1994, a mutual friend turned him loose on me to buy some insurance. I am sure that everyone has had this happen when every person they know gets out of college and the cold calls begin. As my luck would have it, I chose to do business with him and I found myself being a client of his for the next 13 years. I certainly gained more from my association with him than just insurance policies.

Over the years we became friends, we didn't talk every day and sometimes he would call me 10 times before I even returned his calls. When I would finally return his calls, we would talk for 5 minutes about business and 2 hours about life, sports or whatever. The thing that made Mike so different from other people was his ability to always bring something to the table, it could be an opinion, observation or an angle that I never had thought about, but whatever the case was, when I hung up the phone, I was thinking a little bit differently than when I had "finally found the courtesy", as would say jokingly, to call him back.

I often found it interesting and somewhat amazing how he could take a kid who had never looked at lacrosse stick and turn him into a NCAA Division 1 player. What was he doing to make this happen? How could I find what he obviously had in his soul? What drives a person to expect and accept nothing but the best from themselves and his players and actually be able to excute? For most people, it easier to talk about greatness and act like they care. For Mike, execution and dedication to people was standard operating procedure. I am talking about a guy who bankrolled exhibition lacrosse games, so that local kids and parents could see what the next level looks like. I told him he was nuts and he didn't care what I thought and I think we were both right.

For everyone that knew him and or played for him, we are all better people for it.

Mike, you left the world having made your mark and left a legacy at 38, you will be missed more than you could have ever imagined. I could only hope to go out having touched so many in such a positive way.

Dave Cochran

No comments: