Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Grateful Parents

The postings to this site have been incredible. In the last couple of days, I have heard great stories of Mike, his dedication to others, and his many passions of faith and life.

As a parent of a current Varsity player, I share a bond with every parent whose son was coached by Mike. We have all witnessed our children learn more about life, commitment, spirituality, and I forgot---lacrosse then I dare to say, from any other mentor.

Mike, I am forever grateful for what you have done for our son. My first encounter with Mike was at the yearend lacrosse banquet when my son was in 8th grade. I was in awe as Mike introduced each of the varsity players and made separate, personalized, to the heart comments on each of these players. I knew then, that the DeSmet lacrosse program was something special. I am quite sure that each and every parent shares this sentiment and appreciate all that you and each of your "hand picked" coaches have done for our kids.

Each year, I looked forward to hearing your comments about these kids as I have grown to know many of the players and parents ahead of my son's team. I could see each player walk away from you, after your comments, with beaming pride and sense of accomplishment. Every parent I have encountered has expressed this same feeling of "WOW" while watching these events.

I will never forget the words you said about my son at last year's banquet, and I am certain that my son will always cherish your sincere interest in him, not only as a lacrosse player, but as a person.

As I reflect on the past, I remember several teachers at DeSmet who influenced me while I attended DeSmet. I know the DeSmet influences on my two brothers who went to DeSmet and my three sons who also have gone to DeSmet as well as countless friends who have attended DeSmet. Those of us that have been fortunate to be a DeSmet alum feel this way because of the many wonderful folks that we encounter at DeSmet. I guess I can sum it up this way----In all the years, I have never seen any one person have such an effect on so many lives at DeSmet. Mike's devotion, commitment and attention to each and every player is the difference.

Mike, you are the ultimate "Man for Others" at DeSmet. The motto should bear your name.

For so long, all of us parents have "Counted on You".......Mike, "Count on Us" to honor your life and continue this wonderful family that you started at DeSmet Lacrosse.

Steve and Joan J., Spencer, #18.

No comments: