Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Boy in the Cowboy Hat

My husband Jeff played lacrosse with Mike at Notre Dame. The first time I met him he was standing outside wearing a big cowboy hat and smiling. I'm also fairly certain that he had chew in his cheek. I liked him immediately. Over the years he grew into a truly kind, funny, compassionate, wonderful man. Jeff and I loved him dearly.

When he came to visit us in New Jersey several years ago, the first thing he did was to kneel down so he would be at eye level with our two girls, then ages 2 and 5. Not too many men without children understand the importance of putting yourself at the eye level of a child. That simple, beautiful gesture truly touched my heart. But then, he was always putting himself at everyone's eye level, making a connection with you that mattered.

Unlike most of us who get broken down by life's trials, I believe the struggles Mike went through in his life only made him more empathetic, more special. He was a great human being.

Uncle Mike, friend, you are missed.

Beth Salamon

No comments: