Thursday, May 3, 2007

Coach Steel

Coach Sennett, you were such an amazing influence to us all, to all who were fortunate enough to interact with you. I still remember being out at VoTech one day after a long practice and someone's tired legs didn't run a route with the precision you demanded and you stopped practice, brought us in, and gave us a expressive lesson on how 99% of the time the right thing to do will not be the easy thing and how we must have the discipline to do the right thing the right way EVERY time we do it. It's a lesson I took with me to the Air Force Academy and now try and instill in my student pilots. I wouldn't be where I am today without the lessons that you taught us that applied both on and off the field. I wouldn't be where I am today without your exceptional example to follow.
1Lt Max Harrell, USAF Instructor Pilot, De Smet class of '99

1 comment:

Sisterhood of the Slumber Party said...

A Friend from ND

My husband Jeff played lacrosse with Mike at Notre Dame. The first time I met him he was standing outside wearing a big cowboy hat and smiling. I liked him immediately, and over the years he grew into a truly kind, compassionate, wonderful man. Jeff and I loved him dearly.

When he came to visit one year, the first thing he did was to kneel down so he would be at eye level with our two girls, then ages 2 and 5. Not too many men without children understand the importance of putting yourself at the eye level of a child, and that simple, beautiful gesture truly touched my heart. But then, he was always putting himself at everyone's eye level, making a connection with you that mattered.

Uncle Mike, friend, you are missed.

Beth Salamon