Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Legends Never Die

I really didn't know Mike Sennett all that well, but I respected him. A good portion of my friends played lacrosse for Mike. Anyone who could gain the respect of this group of misfits had to be a great man. I was and am always fascinated with their countless stories and imitations of Coach Sennett.

My little brother is going to DeSmet next year. He currently plays youth lacrosse and loves it, or better yet is obsessed with it. I was extremely happy he chose my alma mater, but more than anything I was extremely happy he would get the chance to learn about lacrosse, life, and faith from Mike Sennett. All the stories shared on this blog only reinforce that wish. He will be missed by those that didn't even get the chance to know him. He will be missed by me. My comfort lies in knowing there is someone there going forward that learned from him and loved him.

I would love to see a memorial at DeSmet in honor of this legend. A statue of "Steel" would be fitting. Not only for those that knew him, but most importantly for those to come. Anyone respected and loved by so many must be honored and remembered. I know he will. Every child that plays lacrosse for DeSmet must know this man, know stories of this man, and play their heart out for this man.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who cared for this great man.

Ryan VanDover '99

No comments: