Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Saving lives was his mission

Mike and I were Firefighters together for several years. On Saturday when I found out that he left us I was saddened beyond belief. Although I couldn’t stop thinking about it since it hadn’t settled in until I saw him. After reading through these stories I realized one thing about Mike. He was not a selfish person. Mike would time from his incredibly hectic schedule to answer a question or just talk. I am not sure what I will do without his friendship and kind words when I have gotten myself into a situation that only the wise words of Mike could answer.

My story about Mike is lengthy but Mike always asked me to “get to the point” so I will try to make it short. About four years ago I was going through a divorce. One thing that Mike was always trying to get me to understand was that I needed to “finish what you start.” During this time Mike and Buzz were there for me even though at this time I was making a poor decision. I will never forget talking with Mike for hours at night while I was driving home during this time. Towards the end of the court proceedings while I was teaching a class out of State Mike asked me a question during afternoon phone call. He said “Mike, are you sure that you want this, I mean are you sure that you want to be divorced? Starting over is harder than it looks.” Later that night I was talking to our mutual friend Buzz who was my attorney. Buzz said to me that if there was anything that I could do that I should make every attempt to “stick it out” and make it work. After thinking it through I can happily say that because of their kind words and Mike’s undying dedication and devotion to his beliefs in Christ and loving his friends I did just that and decided to stick it out. Because of Mike’s patience, guidance and direction I can say that my wife and I will celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary this year.

Over the past couple of year Mike and I only talked every month or so and for that I am sorry. Mike was a once in a lifetime friend and I long for the day when we can be together again with no chance of losing him again.

Mike you will always be in my thoughts, prayers and a part of every decision I make. Thanks for your friendship and love while you were with us.

Michael D. Thiemann
“Mouse”

No comments: