Thursday, May 3, 2007

It's frustrating to try to put into words how you feel about a person and words alone can never describe the influence coach Sennett had on the lives of so many young men. I only played for Mike in one tournament, but through winter leagues, phone calls and friends like Patterson, McHugh and Martinez, I feel like Sennett had a big impact on my life.

There are many people who knew Sennett a lot better than I did, so I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

Mike is on a short list of the people most directly responsible for the state of lacrosse in Missouri. It would take a long time to list all the ways he put this sport on the map in Missouri. For that, all past, present and future players owe him thanks.

I didn't really have someone to go to for advice on college, coach Sennett took the time to help me and my family work through it. I never played at DeSmet...He didn't owe me anything...He did it b/c guiding and helping people is what he did best.

In talking to a couple of my friends who played for Steel there was one recurring theme and it really sums up the type of man he was...They all say that, aside from their fathers, Sennett was the strongest and most influential role model in their lives.

Thanks for everything coach...

Ryan Copeland

No comments: