Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Losing a Hero

As long as I've lived in St. Louis I can remember stories about this man. My brother played for him from '99 to '04, and while we played in the backyard I remember the way he talked up his coach, the way he idolized his coach. He was a legend to me before I even met him. I got to meet Coach Sennett whenever I made it to my brother's games. Even in 7th grade I could tell there was something special about the way he conducted himself, and the way his team hinged on every word when he opened his mouth. The way my brother spoke of him, Coach Sennett seemed like a God to me.

When I finally had the opportunity to play for Coach, I couldn't believe how lucky I was. The first two things that grabbed my attention were his dynamic personality and his ability to cut to the core of you and know what makes you tick. During the morning workouts his words were so inspirational and meaningful. He spoke about character, integrity, and perseverance. Character is who you are when nobody is looking. Always finish through the line. Champions are made when the stands are empty. Next play. Count on me. And a personal favorite: "grow some hair on your sack and get to the 5 x 5."

When I fractured a vertebrate during an indoor practice my junior year, I became very depressed and thought I would never play again. He was the first person (and pretty much the only person) to tell me it was up to me if I play again or not, we talked about his injuries and his recovery. After speaking to him I felt the best I had since the injury, he gave me the hope I needed to get through the greif.

About a month ago I hesistated to tell him how much he has done for my life, and right now that memory is making this process so much harder. I guess our best learning is done through making mistakes. I hope that his wishes are fufilled and he continues to touch people's lives beyond the grave.

My best wishes to the Sennett and De Smet Lacrosse Family

Ryan Edmundowicz 2007

No comments: