Monday, April 30, 2007

Words can't describe...

I remember the very first day that Coach spoke to me. I was watching my brother Chris play in his first year at school. I went over to the sidelines and asked Chris if I could borrow a stick so that I could help shag balls during the game, he did not have one, but Coach gave me his stick and told me to take good care of it. I took it and walked with pride to the endline, I remember how cool I felt standing on the endline, not a ball went past me that I didn't chase down in seconds. The only problem was that I had no idea how to work the stick that I had in my hands. When the game was over (I'm pretty sure we lost) Mike had one of his famous "postgame chats" with the players. As they were walking off of the field he approached me, to be completely honest he scared the crap out of me, and said "so do you want to learn how to use that thing or are you just going to hold onto it?" So right there, even though he wasn't in the best of moods, he taught me an easy way to catch and throw the ball.

As I grew older we spoke everyday before and after practice on what I could work on to make me a better player. He dedicated so much time to me shooting, and letting me practice my clears, even though he was tired, had a sore back, and just wanted to go home, he was always there for me. As we would walk off of the field more players would approach him for one-on-one help, and he NEVER left until everybody got the help that he needed.

About a year ago I was approached by a dad who wanted to start a high school team out here (Sacramento CA). He wanted me to be the first head coach in his club's history. I jumped at the oppportunity, I wanted to help put something together like Mike did for us. What he built at DeSmet is so special. Not only did he teach us the importance of playing lacrosse, but the importance of everything in our lives. He was a Coach, Spiritual leader/advisor, mentor, and more than anything a close close friend.

I stepped onto my practice field today and felt an empty place in my heart, I felt as though it was going to be hard to run a practice when my heart was broken. As I told my players what happened there was a sense that rushed through me to get the kids on the field and motivate them like he motivated me, I know that he was standing behind me with those old orange shorts, and tattered t-shirt helping me. I am truly going to miss my weekly conversations with him. We all lost someone very close to our hearts.

I urge all of you who read this blog to go out and root on those kids that are at DeSmet right now for they truly need us. I am praying for them to keep fighting, stay poised, and never give up!!!

Ben Goudy
Class of 1999

No comments: