Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Thank You from Satch

What can I say about a guy that gave me the name "Satch"? The one word that I think describes Mike for me, is Intensity. They guy had more of it than anybody I have ever met. I remember watching him after practice taking shots on Chris Goudy. He would just fire shots at him without relenting in pace or placement. I always marveled at that because he did it with such purpose, such fire in his heart. Not to mention that he left work early to get to the field on time and then stayed late to make sure we were ready to play. He epitomized what a true coach was. He gave every piece of energy he had to get us ready to win. I remember his little schedule for the day that he had on a piece of paper the size of a business card that he tucked in his shorts. I remember his love of stringing his own sticks. I remember his way of making you more than what you thought you could be. I remember the feeling I felt when he praised me. He was a true leader, in every sense of the word. He gave of himself time after time so that young men could succeed.
I guess the one story that I remember happened my senior year. That year, after each practice, he made one person stand up and tell something about themselves or their life or what motivates them. Each day somebody different spoke. I can't remember anything that anybody said during those moments, but that was not important. What was important was how much he wanted us to be a team. In order to make us a team he had to break us down one by one. By doing that he both fostered our individuality and our chemistry as a team. I think Vince Lombardi would have been proud of the way Mike coached. He just got it.

"Leadership is based on a spiritual quality; the power to inspire, the power to inspire others to follow." ~ Vince Lombardi

Thanks for everything Coach.
Mike Barnidge
"Satch"

No comments: