Monday, April 30, 2007

The Man, The Myth, The Legend

This past Saturday morning is a day that will forever be entombed in my memory. I woke to the sound of Ron Kelam's voice in my inbox, and I immediately knew something bad had happened. Little did I know, a few moments later I would hear words that sent a cold, numb chill down my spine. Life had reached out, smacked me upside the head, and said guess what buddy, this is reality...this is how the world turns.

Mike Sennett was taken from us all in the prime of his life. It doesn't seem fair and it's impossible to understand, but we can all take comfort in knowing that he's in a better place. James, you said it best...Mike left this world doing what he loved, truly happy with his place in life. Mike was a private person, yet he had such a huge impact on so many people's lives. For me personally, Mike was my coach, my advisor and most importantly, my friend! He helped shape who I am today, and for that I thank him. I can only imagine that Mike is looking down on us all from his lofty perch, staring in amazement at the outpouring of love, support and grief, all in his name. I thank God for putting him on this earth, for putting him in my life, and for allowing me to share in his life. Stories will be told for years to come, and with them his spirit will remain with us all. To the DeSmet lacrosse community, to Amber, to Mike's family and friends, to anyone that knew him, take comfort in the fact that you had the opportunity to know this man, to feel his spirit and witness his passion for life.

Thank you Mike!

Bill Patterson '96

No comments: