Monday, April 30, 2007

To Coach

Coach,
I knew you only for three years. In that time, I came to know a man of great humility, incredible faith, and a knowledge of life I'll only strive for. My first year on the team I only knew you as Steel. I was only 5'5, 120 pounds at most and never gained much still to this day, as you know. I remember the first practice I showed up at. I was frightened and terrified when you hadn't said a word to me until the third day of practice. You came over and said, "Stephen, keep showing up and keep scrapping and you'll be on the team." I was so happy to hear you talk to me let alone get on the team. As the years went by, I only grew to admire you more. You are amongst the few men who truly had a profound influence on my character as an individual. You truly were meant to coach at DeSmet and I can't imagine DeSmet lacrosse without you. I'll miss you, the coaches will miss you, and all my teammates will miss you too.
One last yaeger call for old times sake mate.
Oooo oooo oooo.

Steve Ferris '04

No comments: