Monday, April 30, 2007

Patience and Determination

As one of three brothers that played under Coach, we have shared many stories, but the stories I love to tell are those from the beginning.

Back in the early 90's rumors filled the halls that a new sport was going to try and start up at DeSmet...Lacrosse.

12-15 guys met to discuss playing a sport that most of us had never heard of, and would be led by some guy from Notre Dame. Most of us didn't know how to catch or throw and none of us knew how intense and hard it was going to be.

From the first time I met him, I saw a drive and willingness to succeed that I have never seen before. I remember thinking to myself, how does he come to every practice and every game pumped up and high on life with as bad as we were? We would get beat up day in and day out, and some how he found a bright spot in a practice drill or a certain play during a game that he said we could build on. Even though we would lose, he would make us feel like winners and drove us to play and practice even harder. He would stop a drill, and give a one on one lesson to someone if they were falling behind, even though it would slow up practice. As a natural born leader, coach demonstrated patience and determination that I will never forget.

As the years passed, I got to see both of my brothers play and win! Coach never gave up on us, and because of that I am grateful. He was a great man, coach and friend, but above all was a great human being that was put on this earth to teach us to be Men for Others.

You will be missed but not forgotten!

Marc Montgomery '94

No comments: