Monday, April 30, 2007

My Friend, My Brother...

Mike was one of only a couple of people beside my father that I really look up to. I use the present tense becuase he will live on in each of us. Each one of the hundreds of people that he had such a positive influence on. I am heartbroken that Mike has been taken from us. Now that I am no longer coaching, I wouldn't see Mike as much, but we spoke often.

Mike is one of the best people that I know. In fact, I told him several times that he should have been a priest. He would have made a very good priest. Of course, he would have been good at whatever he did.

It was a priveledge to know Mike. I also feel very fortunate to have told him a couple of times that I loved him and that he was my brother. That is something that comes with age. That is the ability to tell another man that you love them. I encourage each of you that played for Mike to learn that lesson. One never knows when it will be over. I am thrilled that I did tell Mike and the other people in my life that I love them. I hope that each of you will learn from this and tell your family and friends that you love them.

I remember how after try-outs he would be on the fence about a kid that Jeff and I wanted for JV and I would tell him that I thought the kid needed "a little seasoning." Mike would laugh histerically and take the kid anyway.

I also remember how we would be eating with a big group of people after some function and Mike would be grazing off of everyone elses plate. The man could really put the groceries away and for a while, showed it.

I can't even imagine the loss that his family is feeling. The thing that really breaks my heart is that he never got to have children. He would have been an amazing father. Just like he was to so many of his players. I am also saddened that my daughter will never get to know him.

I will miss him screaming at players or refs at games. I will miss the little things he would say to inspire kids or even and old, twisted man like myself. I will miss a giant of our sport. I am a better person for knowing him, like most of us. But mostly, I will miss my friend.

God Bless

Jeff Harrison

No comments: