Sunday, April 29, 2007

Run the Wombat

If I were to make a list of the people who’ve helped make me into the person I am today, I think coach Sennett would rank surprisingly high on that list.

I’m not going to lie, when I first met coach in the spring of 1993 my freshman year at DeSmet I was afraid. Then I was a nervous, 5′8″, 145 pound (soaking wet with my cloths on as coach Koons used to say) smartass who didn’t really know anything about the game. In contrast Sennett was like General Patton on a lacrosse field.

I didn’t make varsity that year (legitimately so, I was terrible), but was lucky enough to make it the next three years and have the chance to get to know coach more. Some of those times were great - winning two championships and having the chance to captain one of those teams. Some of those weren’t so great - struggling mightily at the beginning of my senior season and going 0-5 against out of state teams. But I wouldn’t trade that time for anything in the world.

Back then (and I hope it still is today) there was something special about being part of the DeSmet Lacrosse program. A program that was built almost single-handedly by one man. A man who gave nearly all of his free time to teaching the game he loved. Teaching kids to play the right way. To play hard. To play tough. To play honest. To play as one. He expected a lot from his players. But at the same time he wanted his players to expect a lot from him.

I’ll always remember Mike Sennett. I’ll remember him bouncing around warming up the keeper. I’ll remember a crystal clear absolutely beautiful spring day at home against Lafayette and joking around with Jamie and coach before the game. I’ll remember the wombat. I’ll remember giving coach a hug after our second championship and nearly crying because it was all over.

I’ll remember all that and will be eternally thankful that I had a chance to play for coach. There are so many things I’d like to say, but can’t find words for.

To Chris and the rest of your team, I’ll be thinking of you guys.

Rob Lambrechts (aka “Lambs”)

Middie ‘97

2 comments:

hunt007 said...

I heard the news yesterday morning in an Airport as i traveled back from yet another lacrosse event and i could help but wondor where i would be now if i had NOT had Coach in my life - i know that i wouldnt have gone on to play lacrosse in college without him, i wouldnt have moved out west to work (he was one of the three poeple that told me to head west and spread the game), i wouldnt be as successful as i am today, and most of all i would be the man that i am today without him. He taught me about character, responsibility, and doing the right thing in life.

I never got to play for him in high school but always thought of him as my coach for life - he was a mentor, team mate, brother, father, confidant, gaurdian, bust most of all he was a friend.

I remember mini goal at the end of Irish camp when he would run shop on all of us and show us how good a Division 1 player really is - even after his hay day - and his infamous Tank top

but most of all I remember everytime i talked to him on the phone he we tell me 'God Bless Johnny'

The most important thing i learned from Mike was "always be ready" - i had to drive his car home for him one day and he was emphatic on backing the car into the garage - i was a younger at the time 20 or 21 so i asked why it was so important - he said, "As a fireman you cant waste any time when you get the call to get to the house. You have to ready at any time. The little things are what save you the most time. So a fireman always backs into his garage so he can get out faster." It sounded just like everything i had heard on the field but it meant more know that he lived everyday like that.


Im on my way to coach a 3rd and 4th grade team and i hope that one day one of them can say the things we have said about Steele - that way i know i have passed on his legacy.

God Blass,
HUNT

Tom Andrew said...

Mike was truly and inspiration both on and off the field for an amazing number of kids. As parents we knew the kids were in good hands with Mike, Tom Coons and all the DeSmet players.