Monday, April 30, 2007

God Damn-it Jim!

Coach Koons used to lovingly call Sennett “the Fuehrer” because the man never lacked intensity in drilling the team to perfection. As many know, not playing the game the right way – his way – would bring swift, merciless wrath. His ability to identify correctable flaws knew no bounds. Yet I’ll never forget when Sennett screamed at me for actually playing well.

I’m defending Mario in a one-on-one drill during one of those soggy, March practices wearing full sweats with only short sticks allowed – pretty much the most miserable part of the season. Mario eventually gets by and I curse loudly at myself.

All of a sudden Sennett bellows, “God damn-it Jim! That’s good defense. That’s GOOD defense!”

I couldn’t even verbally abuse myself correctly. But at least I played good defense.

Living in DC I’ve had two “ah-ha” DeSmet lacrosse moments. The first happened when I entered a mall in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, realizing that this was the same place I got the team kicked out of years before. Apparently, some frown upon throwing pennies from 4th-story balconies.

The second occurred only today after reading about Sennett’s influence in growing lacrosse within St. Louis. He brought the team out here not to just to play top competition, but to show us the sport’s potential when whole regions of the country buy into lacrosse. I think Sennett wanted to replicate that in St. Louis. I believe eventually, he will.

Jim Lapides
‘97

No comments: